Sunday, September 16, 2012

What to Watch or Avoid Fall TV Season 2012 Part 1

I'm back!!! So soon you ask?  Last year I said I was going to try to blog more, and when I make the time to sit and type, I really enjoy it. So, with that being said, I've started watching the new shows that have premiered for the fall season and this is what I think so far. I hope to continue watching new shows and blogging my opinions of them- maybe you'll read and find a new show that you will enjoy, or maybe I'll just be blogging to myself and you'll never know the great shows that you could be watching if only you'd read. 


The New Normal - From Ryan Murphy, the creator of gLee and American Horror Story this is the story of a gay couple who decides they want to have a baby.  Justin Bartha (Doug from The Hangover) plays David, a doctor who's in a relationship with Bryan who as far as i can tell is unemployed played by Andrew Rannells (Elijah the ex-bf from Girls).  NeNe Leakes (for all you RH fans!) is their assistant? of course she is sassy and no nonsense. Bryan and David go to an agency to find an egg donor and a surrogate which they end up finding in Goldie, a newly single mother with a very odd daughter.  Ellen Barkin is Goldie's overbearing bigot/racist/homophobic mother. The dialogue is wonderful and witty, the cast meshes so well I have no doubt that this show will definitely be a keeper on my DVR season pass.  Two episodes have already aired so if you missed them definitely check out NBC.com Here's a clip from hulu (sorry about the commercial... I hate commercials to watch a commercial... booo) The New Normal

GoOn - I honestly had NO expectations for this show to be good at all, since Matthew Perry hasn't been in any successful shows in the past few years despite his wonderful comedic ability.  However, I was pleasantly surprised by this show. Perry plays Ryan King, a recently widowed radio sportscaster who is having trouble dealing with the recent loss of his wife, he just doesn't realize it. All he wants to do is go on with his life which mainly includes working and since his house is now empty- he makes his assistant work late nights with him so he doesn't have to go home alone.   He has to go to therapy sessions as a condition of his being able to return to work, he reluctantly goes just to get his paper signed. The group of course all have their issues and some of them are cray-zay. I will definitely keep watching it, though I'm not sure if it will have a mass appeal- give it a try maybe you'll like it. Two episodes have already aired and can be found on NBC.com Another hulu clip Go On-First Day of Group Therapy

Animal Practice - I am unsure what I think of Animal Practice, but I am going to watch a couple more episodes before deciding if it's a keeper or not.  This show will definitely not be for everyone because it's quirky and silly- which I find enjoyable.  The show takes place at an animal hospital that is set up like a real hospital emergency room with multiple vets, a completely overcrowded waiting room... an animal ambulance- ridiculous. Obviously not based in any realistic vet's office but, if you can get past that the cast is a great one. Justin Kirk (from Weeds) plays Dr. Coleman, the main vet who is great with animals and not so great with people.  Joanna Garcia Swisher (from Reba) plays Dorothy- Dr. Coleman's ex-girlfriend who has been willed the animal hospital after her grandmother's passing, thus making her the boss.  Tyler Labine (Sock from Reaper)  is a wonderful addition to any comedic cast as far as I'm concerned. If this sounds even somewhat appealing- watch an episode. What do you have to lose other than 22 minutes? You may like it.  Again, the first episode can be found at NBC.com and here's an NBC clip Animal Practice

Guys With Kids- This show's premise seemed weak at best when I read about it. I attempted to watch the first episode and didn't finish.  First of all, aren't sit-coms filmed in front of a live studio audience a little dated?  It worked for the Cosby Show, Cheers, Seinfeld and Friends but this is a new millennium and it just seems a little forced and fake.  I feel like if the comedy is really strong it doesn't need someone laughing in studio to let me know that the joke was funny and it's time for me to laugh, or maybe that's just me.  And upon further investigation I have come to realize that I don't like MOST new shows that use laughter, and like quite a few that have none, coincidence?  Laughter: Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly, 2 Broke Girls, (and I have never watched but it doesn't appeal to me at all despite NUMEROUS people telling me I should watch) Big Bang Theory.  I never realized before that for the most part I just don't like laughter added to my tv! The only currently airing show I can think of that does have laughter that I enjoy watching is How I Met Your Mother.  NO-Laugh shows that I like: Arrested Development, Community, Parks and Recreation, Cougar Town, It's Always Sunny, Modern Family, Glee... I like being able to chose when to laugh and how funny something really is.  I just read a quote that sums it up perfectly: "Comedic shows without laugh tracks imply that the audience can decide what is and isn't funny."  And I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. SO back to Guys With Kids- I'm just not feelin' it. Three guys with kids, one married with 4 kids, one married with 2 kids and the third divorcing with 1 kid- bring on the not-so-funny one liners. Maybe the cast just hasn't formed good chemistry yet. Stacey thought one of the jokes was funny but overall it doesn't appeal to me. I will not be adding this to my DVR list. I thought that maybe having been produced by Jimmy Fallon that it could be good- but now I know better. Guys With Kids- not feelin' it

Revolution-  This show wasn't on my fall tv list because I had never heard of it before, NBC is not doing so great with their fall lineup advertising. The premiere episode airs Monday September 17th on NBC, but the full episode is available on NBC.com now if you want to check it out.  Quick rundown: for some yet unknown reason all electricity on earth shuts down- including batteries. Basically mankind is thrown back into the 1800's as far as technology is concerned. No more cars, flashlights, air conditioning, modern medicine... flash forward 15 years and the story begins. The first episode was good and I will watch a few more episodes to see if the story line and cast come together to make "must see tv". If you like post-apocalyptic shows this one may just be for you. Revolution

This concludes the first edition of "What to Watch or Avoid Fall TV Season 2012."




4 comments:

  1. Everyone I know is talking about The New Normal. I can't decide if I want to give it a try or not. After investing in Emily's Reasons Why Not, I'm skeptical of investing in comedies! lol Animal Practice looked dumb but your info made it appealing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait... you didn't "invest" in Emily's Reasons... they canceled that thing 5 seconds after it started!! HA! Watch TNN on nbc.com and I think you'll know if you like it by the end of the first episode. It is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still upset about Emily!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see!! I'm still upset about the show Eyes, which only aired like 4 episodes. waaaaaah! also, I have no idea why I don't get email notifications when I get comments. boooo!

    ReplyDelete